FCCNY Monthly YA Discussion
Rachel and Hannah will be facilitating a monthly discussion group
for Young Adult Chinese adoptees!
Their fourth meeting will be held Sunday December 9th,
12pm-2pm, on the Upper West Side, Manhattan.Exact location will be provided upon registration here with your YA account.
This month's discussion topic is "Family and Adoption."
1. What are some early memories you have with your immediate family and/or extended family?
2. Are you the only adopted person in your immediate and/or extended family?
Do you have siblings? Are they also adopted?
3. Do you have any family members who have interracial marriages, domestic partnerships or other relationships?
Any multiracial children?
4. How do you think your family viewed intercountry versus domestic adoption?
Did they have specific expectations or opinions about both options?
Have those attitudes and beliefs changed over time?
5. How do you think your family viewed transracial versus same-race adoption?
What made your parent(s) decide to adopt from China specifically?
6. Do you know how your extended family members reacted to/felt about your parent(s)’ decision to adopt you?
7. Have you ever been treated differently because you were adopted?
8. Did you ever feel like you were not accepted by your family?
9. Did people ever ask you: “Why don’t you look like your parent(s) or sibling(s)?”
What impact (if any) did “not looking like” them have on you?
10. Do you want children of your own one day?
Would you adopt?
If so, would you adopt internationally?
Why or why not?
Would you prefer to have children who were biologically related to you?
Why or why not?
Would you want both adopted and biologically related children?
We would like to facilitate discussion about topics such as racial identity development, racism and discrimination, and feelings about being adopted. The goal is for us to share and explore similarities and differences in our experiences in a supportive setting and talk about experiences and feelings that non-Chinese adoptees can’t necessarily relate to.
** This forum is only open to Chinese Adoptees ages 18 and older. We will be speaking from personal experiences and this event is inclusive of all genders and orientations. Please respect that all personal information that is discussed is to be kept private and not to be shared outside of the forum. This forum is not being moderated by a therapist or an expert; this is not meant to replace professional help. Advice-giving is discouraged. **
Questions or comments: AdopteeBoard@fccny.org
Chinese Adoptee AllianceWe are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization supporting Chinese adoptees and allies. "C double A", formerly FCCNY.
Problems with membership, logging in, registration? login-tutorial