FCCNY Monthly YA Discussion
Rachel and Hannah will be facilitating a monthly discussion group
for Young Adult Chinese adoptees!
Their second meeting will be held Saturday November 10th,
12pm-2pm, in a Midtown East Manhattan office.Exact location will be provided upon registration here with your YA account.
This month's discussion topic is "Societal expectations about Asian appearance and Asian beauty standards."
1. In your experience, how does American society generally define “ideal” physical attractiveness?
- What images instantly come to your mind?
2. Do you feel like certain types of facial features are valued over others? If so, what are they? (i.e. eye color, hair texture, nose shape, skin tone, etc.)
3. In terms of various body builds, proportions, and sizes, how does American society generally define the “ideal body?”
4. How are these standards similar and different between American and Asian societies?
5. Describe your personal experiences growing up around these images of “ideal” attractiveness.
- How did/does your racial and ethnic identity influence your experience and perceptions of “ideal” physical attractiveness?
6. Do you feel pressured to conform/adhere to American and/or Asian standards of attractiveness?
7. What are your thoughts and feelings about Chinese foot binding? (which “persisted well into the 20th century” -The Atlantic article)
- Do you think this practice of altering the body for aesthetic reasons is comparable to cosmetic plastic surgery today?
We would like to facilitate discussion about topics such as racial identity development, racism and discrimination, and feelings about being adopted. The goal is for us to share and explore similarities and differences in our experiences in a supportive setting and talk about experiences and feelings that non-Chinese adoptees can’t necessarily relate to.
** This forum is only open to Chinese Adoptees ages 18 and older. We will be speaking from personal experiences and this event is inclusive of all genders and orientations. Please respect that all personal information that is discussed is to be kept private and not to be shared outside of the forum. This forum is not being moderated by a therapist or an expert; this is not meant to replace professional help. Advice-giving is discouraged. **
Questions or comments: AdopteeBoard@fccny.org
FCC Greater New YorkWe are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization supporting Chinese adoptees and their families and friends.
Problems with membership, logging in, registration? fccny.org/login-tutorial
fb • fb grp • insta • twtr